Valentine’s Day isn’t the only holiday this month. February 9th is the kick off day for Random Acts of Kindness week. In our crazy busy lives, we rarely take the time to slow down and reflect on how fortunate we are to live in a community filled with Aloha. This week is a chance for us to encourage members of our community to do nice things for our neighbors, friends and family. The result: building a stronger, better community for all. If we all just did one random act of kindness each day from Feb. 9th through the 15th, think of how much happiness we could spread. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- A smile a day: Probably the easiest Random Acts of Kindness is smiling at a stranger as they walk by. Recent research shows that a tiny gesture such as a smile can make a person feel more connected to others. Plus, smiles are contagious and can brighten a person’s day instantly.
- Send a handwritten letter: Remember the days of putting a pen to paper and writing a letter to your loved ones. Take the time one of these days and let someone you care about know that you not only are thinking about them, but you care enough to sit down and put your feelings down on paper.
- Clean the beaches: Random Acts of kindness don’t always have to be towards a person. They can also be towards our environment. Why not take a few hours and a trash bag and help clean up our local beaches. It’s a great activity to do as a group or with your family. Mother Earth will thank you!
- Knitting for babies: Are you crafty with your hands? Maui Memorial Hospital supplies beanies to all new babies when they are first born and they rely solely on donations. How amazing would it be to use your skill towards clothing brand new babies.
- Donate clothes and toys: Start your spring cleaning a little earlier this year and clean out all your old clothes and donate them. Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Maui, Women helping Women and the Salvation Army are just a few of many that are always happy to take your donations.
- Visit Volunteer Opportunites on HandsOn Maui to find more great volunteer needs and do nice things!
There are so many acts of kindness that we can all do daily that make our world just a little bit better. Pay for a coffee or lunch for the person behind you in line. Tape the exact change for a soda to a vending machine. Send cards with joyful messages to strangers. Collect canned goods for a food bank or babysit a friend’s child for free. Visit Random Acts of Kindness Week for hundreds of other ideas.