- Coordinate programs that increase public awareness on the importance of volunteering
- Plan and implement events/projects to assist agencies with their volunteer programs
- Sponsor/cosponsor community volunteer programs
- Provide capacity building trainings on volunteerism
- Maintain and promote an online Directory of Volunteer Opportunities
- Administer County Project Graduation Program
- Encourage community recognition of volunteers
- Help individuals find quality volunteer opportunities
- Facilitate and coordinate Network of Volunteer Leader’s Maui gatherings and trainings
Vision & Mission
Vision: Everyone in Maui County can contribute to and gain from volunteerism to meet community needs and build community vibrancy.
Mission: The County of Maui Volunteer Center is the one resource and catalyst on Maui that leads, connects and mobilizes volunteers and volunteer agencies to contribute to a better life on Maui.
About the Volunteer Center
The Volunteer Center was funded in the late 1980’s by a Points of Light Foundation Grant. After a successful launch with grant funds, the County of Maui funded the new division. The budget includes salary of one staff member and operational funds. The Volunteer Center is a Division of the Department of Housing and Human Concerns. We are a proud affiliate of the HandsOn Network, the volunteer-focused arm of the Points of Light Institute. As such, we adopted the national logo in 2011 to highlight our affiliation with HandsOn’s mission to inspire, equip, and mobilize people to change lives through service. HandsOn is the largest volunteer network in the nation and includes more than 250 Action Centers in 16 countries.